GLOBAL COMMUNICATION INFRASTRUCTURE
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to “build the Internet” by joining the Xtera System Engineering team. You will play a key role the implementation of fibre optic undersea transmission system projects which are the backbone of today’s connected world.
The exciting role offers the opportunity to work in a multi-disciplinary environment as it will involve not only optical transmission technology but allow expanding into a number of different exciting areas, such as submerged and land-based equipment as well as surveys at various global locations, cable manufacturing or installation on land and at sea. It will involve some travel and working with several suppliers and stakeholders, both internal and external to Xtera.
Another key element of the role is acting as technical interface between Xtera and the customer during bidding or project implementation. As such you are expected to play a key role in the day-by-day communication as well as facilitating efficient communication with other parties involved in the project, such as consultants or subcontractors.
- To manage or perform the following aspects of submarine system engineering:
- Perform in-house preliminary system designs for bidding purposes
- Define the tools required to support the bidding of submarine projects.
- Contribute to writing of technical documentation required for bidding of submarine projects
- Provide technical inputs to commercial discussions as part of tender responses
- Pre-Sales and customer-facing activities
- Carry out computer simulations or lab / field transmission experiments for Pre-Sales activities
- Participate in customer meetings, conferences and other sales meetings as required
- Project Support
- Generate System Configuration Specifications outlining the implementation objectives for all aspects of a new project (line design, cable, terminal, PFE etc.)
- Support the Project Manager(s) with all system design issues throughout the course of projects
- Generate test specifications and procedures for system integration and acceptance testing (e.g., at the cable factory, at landing sites, or onboard installation vessels)
- Provide on-site or remote assistance to field installation activities as required
- Manage / support transmission lab resources and experiments.
- Support in-house development activities, particularly where impacting or interfacing with marine, cable or other submerged plant.
- Participate in peer reviews of development where applicable
- Degree level in an Engineering discipline, or several years of relevant experience.
- Relevant experience in subsea and/or telecoms industries –
- Understanding of key technologies associated with submarine cable projects
- Fibre-optic line and transmission design skills or experience
- Willingness to build submarine system knowledge to cover entire solutions
- Ability to interact with subcontractors and partners
- Ability to attend meetings with customers
- Good communication skills
- Organizational and time-management skills
- A team player with leadership abilities
- Willingness to travel worldwide
- Junior engineers or recent graduate are invited to apply and would be trained on the job
We will not keep your personal data for any longer than necessary when applying for any of our roles. Click here to find out more on our GDPR policy.